As you may have gathered by now, I often find myself immersed in the fine art community. After graduating with and art degree and trying to stay in my local art community, I finally was able to put a piece in and art exhibition and it wasn’t just any piece. I have had this thing for around a year now and have wanted to share it. In the fall of 2013 I spent months creating a tapestry as a class project, using all of my free time and carrying around a large wood frame with nails sticking out of it. It has been used as an example for tapestry classes to local high school students, but other than that, it has spent its life neglected in my bedroom, just waiting to be mounted on the board I had almost ready for it for over a year. In good artist fashion, one day before the deadline for submissions for the show, I finally put the last coat of paint on the board and sewed my tapestry to it. It took some time, but it was ready for display and is finally out of my works in progress pile for my fine art. Dragon fire, an approximately 16 * 12 inch tapestry, was created and now shared with the world.
Alas, I have a love/hate relationship with this thing. It took so long to create: I used relatively fine wool and silk yarns. However, the result is very much worth the effort. So much so that I am actually considering starting another (I’ll be sharing a yarn haul later this week for some projects like this). We’ll see where it goes, but for the time being, a piece of mine…a fiber piece…is hanging in a gallery, and I am proud to say it is there. It only took over a year to get there.